Friday, May 1, 2009

Lyon France


A long long way from home.... we are, that is... a distance that spans more than that of this bridge. The distance seems 1/2 of two continents and an ocean that separates us from our home. The longing at times is so intense, it comes in pangs, so overwhelming, so painful, so desperate... A longing, with a physicality nearly like the beginning of childbirth...
yet at other times, all goes smoothly, and we enjoy our adventure, our sojourn here in this strange land, this strange city, where no one really knows us, few speak our language, eat our foods, understand OUR customs... so we learn to adapt.. we have to... we have to NOT become like them... but we have to because, well, simply because we live with them, love them, we need to be gracious, and perhaps become friends with them.
It occurred to me walking about yesterday, over the Saone River, pictured above... how like the Christian's walk, this experience is in real time....
As Christians we are a long way from home. We are ambassadors in a strange land. Sojourners... This is NOT our world, but the next to come IS, our citizenship, our primary citizenship IS in Heaven. There are times, when we cry out with great passion "COME LORD JESUS, come quickly!" There are times, our souls ache, with such desperation for the coming of our Savior, for the return to our homeland.
There are other times when we just "go with the drift of things and yield with a grace to reason" as Robert Frost said.... we become quite content, and accustomed, and settled here in this place, in this time... We learn to love, and walk with those that belong to this place...
There is nothing wrong with that feeling of comfort, that seance of settling... it is a bit of peace that the good Lord gives to us here and now, but we must ever keep our eyes fixed upon HIM.... upon the prize at the end, if we lost our focus and just focused on HERE, we might miss the prize at the end and become lost here.....
What would happen to me, if I lost my focus on family and friends back home... stopped blogging, stopped skyping, writing, calling, and completely became absorbed in this experience.... ? What would happen when my beloved said to me, that certain day,
why are you not ready?
are your bags not packed?
do you not realize the plane leaves today?
it would be crazy, it would be so rushed, so insane... yet God is a God of order... with Him their is Peace....
What would happen when I arrived....
would I be eagerly greeted, or would my loved ones feel snubbed?
Would I have proved myself a fool, or have shown myself to be loving, wise, and mature in the Lord... tending to all He has given to me to steward....
there would in fact need to be much repentance on my part, much restoration....
So it is with the Christian body..... We must not forsake the gathering of the Saints, the fellowship, the unity of the bride, we must put forth a bit of effort, thought and consideration into our relationships, because in the end, the only bit of anything you might get to bring with you to the Kingdom is that person........ a person, another human, an actual living breathing, SOUL.... We must love one another, as HE has loved us...
let us remember one another, writing often, even quick notes in this day of Internet can bring ones heart in time to beat with another....
It also causes me to consider what would happen on that fate filled day and my BELOVED said to me
do you not have oil for you lamp?
Are you not ready?
get away from me, I knew you not......................
O Lord, help me fill my Oil up! Help for me to be ready! I want to know you better today than yesterday! Here I am Lord.... in a strange Land far from both my homes... overlooking a land that was once a Bastian for your people.... why you have me here, I do not know, but I thank you for each lesson you are teaching me... I pray that you might use me, .... here I am Lord... yours ... a citizen of YOUR Kingdom....
passport stamped by the Holy Spirit Himself!
Sealed by the blood of the Lamb...

No comments:

Post a Comment

grace & peace to you... your thoughts are welcomed here...